There are two types of trauma, acute trauma and developmental trauma. Acute trauma may occur to someone who has experienced a life-threatening event such as a natural disaster, war, accident or assault. Developmental trauma occurs over a period of time during childhood. Read the questions below to see if you could benefit from further help.
- Are you having upsetting memories or flashbacks from a past event?
- Do you suffer from night terrors or nightmares?
- Are you easily startled?
- Do you feel numb to your emotions?
- Do you feel disconnected from friends and family?
- Are you having panic attacks?
- Do you avoid people or places that remind you of the past event?
- Do you ever feel overwhelmed and is it difficult to put your thoughts into words?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions and would like help, there is hope.